Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Why doctors sometimes need to put themselves in our shoes

I had my first doctor's appointment the day after the two lines showed up on the test. I'd heard from friends that doctors just take your word that the test was positive and give you a referral.

My doctor does not.

I had to pee in a cup. Oh the joys. Then he put a couple of drops on their test and waited...and waited...and waited. Nothing showed up. I mentioned that I'd read somewhere that doctor's tests were less sensitive than first response. He didn't think that was true.

So he started the process on writing me a blood test referral. After a time (we'd been discussing obstetrician referrals and private health), I noticed there was a second line.

I pointed it out and the doctor said yep, you're definitely pregnant. No congratulations or excitement. But, hearing it come from a professional was just the reassurance I needed. This was really happening.

The doc suggested I still get the blood test, as apparently hospitals like to know your base hcg levels in case you present with possible miscarriage. So I took the referral with plans to get the test on Saturday and ring the doc on Monday to find out the results.

Hubby and I spent the next few days in loved up bliss, with him occasionally rubbing my belly and asking how his little boy was doing.

I rang the doc on Monday after the test and was told he'd call me back. Monday afternoon and evening came and went and no call. I was a little disappointed because I really wanted the referral to get the obstetrician I wanted in case she booked out.

On Tuesday, I called again and the doc rang me back. Apparently my hcg levels were lower than expected (at 75) and that either my bub wasn't going to stick or I was only 2-3 weeks pregnant, not the four I'd calculated.

I couldn't believe it.

So the doctor said he wanted to do another blood test a week after the first one and that I should come in and see him three days after. That was a whole week away. How could I possibly wait that long, not knowing whether my little one was going to stick around. I thanked the doctor, hung up and resorted back to my two best friends in these situations - Google and the forum I frequent.

Google told me that my levels were perfectly normal for where I was in the pregnancy and that the important thing was that the levels continued to rise dramatically. Sigh, a breath of relief.

The forum I frequent is full of lovely and very knowledgeable ladies who also assured me that hcg levels mean next to nothing and that most doctors refused to rely on them because of that. They also offered me their support and for that I can't thank them enough. These ladies are so incredible especially
given I've only met a few of them in real life. You know who you are ladies - so thank you.

I rang hubby and arranged to meet him for lunch. I told him what the doctor said and he looked so inconsolable. But then when I told him the advice I'd found via Google and the forum his only concern was to make sure I wasn't too upset or stressed and to try and take my mind off things. And that's one of the reasons I married him.

Six days and counting until the results and we know where to from here...


1 comment:

Dorinny said...

good luck with the results :) *fingers crossed* Im sure everything will be fine - also, ive read that HCG levels are higher in the morning, so if you had done the test first thing in the morning, you probably would have had a more 'sticky' result ;)