Wednesday, April 14, 2010

And the realisation sets in

Wow. What on earth are we going to do? Are we ready for this? Can we really be parents? How are we going to afford having a baby? So many thoughts, so many questions, running through my and hubby's heads.

By getting knocked up the cycle before we planned to, we'd managed to time things just right to miss out on so many things.


My due date, by my (and the numerous online calculators') calculations, is 20 December 2010. We're likely to miss out on the government's paid maternity leave scheme by 11 days. I was hoping to combine that with my work's paid maternity leave at half pay and take six months off work. Hopefully we can still afford to do that.


My due date is also just four days after hubby graduates from uni. So I've told him, he has four days to find a full-time job and we both laughed...but part of me was serious.

It's also five days before Christmas. Poor kid, practically having to share their birthday with the big J man upstairs. And having to go to school a year behind other kids born in the same year.

But you know what, despite all this. Hubby and I are so ecstatically happy. Nothing matters other than the fact we're going to become parents. We'll find a way to get ready. We'll find a way to afford this bub and give it the best care and attention we can.

Nothing can take away the sheer joy we have at finding out we're going to be parents. Or so I thought...

No comments: